As we move into the colder months, we should look at our horse's current feeding plan and consider changes that they might need to support them during winter.
The colder temperatures and shorter days will often lead to increased time spent in stables and often a reduction in workload. This is a great time to look at your current feeding plan and making changes to suit your horses, good-doers might need management to keep those extra calories under control whereas the poor doers might need extra support to increase condition. Fibre should be the foundation of your horses’ diet, according to NRC guidelines it is recommended to provide high-quality forage at 1.5% of body weight per day in dry matter (for 500kg horse). Providing optimal fibre supports gastrointestinal health and provides key energy and nutrient sources to support normal bodily functions. Looking after their gut health is particularly important when the amount of time spent in the stable increases, natural grazing reduces and we create the risk of increased periods of time without food which can lead to the development of conditions such as Equine Gastric Ulcer Syndrome (EGUS).
Key Bluegrass Horse Feed products formulated specifically to support condition, weight gain and topline:
- Bluegrass Turmash - A high fibre, low starch conditioning mash containing Turmeric. Turmash is a great addition to help provide extra calorie and fibre. It can be fed with warm or cold water and soaks in 15-20 minutes.
- Bluegrass Prime Condition Mix - A highly palatable conditioning mix, containing Stamm 30, Equi-Jewel® and Alfalfa. Prime Condition Mix is fully fortified and provides high-fat sources to encourage weight gain and condition.
- Bluegrass Flax Plus - A high - fat balancer containing Flax oil and Equi-Jewel®. Flax Plus is a great addition to provide extra calories, support coat health, help improve hoof quality and to support joint health.
- Bluegrass Cool N Condition Cubes - Fully balanced conditioning cubes containing Stamm 30 and Equi-Jewel®. Formulated to help promote weight gain whilst providing slow-release energy sources to meet performance demands.
- Bluegrass Prep 14 - A mix containing highly digestible cereal sources and high-quality oil to support weight gain and condition. Prep 14 is a popular product for sales prep and for improving show condition.
- Bluegrass Equi-Jewel® - A high - fat balancer containing stabilised rice bran, additional calcium and vitamin E. Equi-Jewel has been recently improved with the addition of KER BCM, marine-derived calcium proven to support gut health, gastric health and bone density.
For help with your horse's diet, contact the Bluegrass Horse Feed nutritional helpline +44 (0)28 3754 8276 or follow this link