Aoife McCabe rider at Atlantic Stables has a go at the Bluegrass Horse Feed behind the success Q&A. Atlantic Stables is a family run equestrian stables based in the West of Ireland; Galway. They have two riders: Aoife and Kevin. Aoife is a Level 2 HSI Coach and is currently studying in NUIG for an MSC in Aginnovate. Kevin is working full time at horses. The have a range of horses, from Irish traditional types to warmbloods. They compete nationally and have recently joined forces with Quality Stud horses in Belgium.
1) What’s your favourite horse you’ve ridden?
Hard to say, but it is a toss up between Paciro and Oasis but it has to be the reliable Carramore Oasis. She’s just super fun to ride, she makes me feel like I’m back in ponies whizzing around.
2) What horse would you like to have in your stables?
If only it were so easy to decide what horse I wanted. Tobago Z would fit in nicely around the place I think. LOL
3) If you weren’t a showjumper what would you like to be?
It’s a tough one, do you reckon I could have fit into Harry Potter?
4) Favourite horse show?
Has to be the RDS for competing. It’s the peak of the year. Although I would love to jump in Hickstead
5) Do you prefer the Greatest Showman or Les Mis soundtrack?
Would it be awful to say I haven’t seen either?!?
6) What’s the one thing in your tack room you can’t be without?
I would struggle without my whiteboard… love LOVE LOVE writing lists.
7) Have you any routines or habits before you go in the ring?
Just keep visualising the track in my head.
8) Do you have any other hobbies or sport interests?
At the minute I’m enjoying being at the gym in the mornings, but other than that time is a precious thing!! Most of my time is spent on horses.
9) Name one competition that you really want to win?
I want to win, everything I enter. Haha I’m very competitive. But I wouldn’t want to jinx myself by saying a competition in particular or I’ll never win it!!
10) What’s your favourite Bluegrass Horse Feed product?
11) When did you start riding?
I rode in a riding school from about 6 but didn’t’ succeed in my begging for a pony until I was 13.
12) First pony’s name?
Yorkie- I had a lot of ponies named after food!
13) What’s your proudest achievement so far?
I’ve been fortunate enough to win twice in the RDS Horse show in the Young Riders section.
14) What’s your favourite training exercise?
I love raised trotting poles but there’s nothing quite like bringing your horse to the gallops and feeling like a race jockey every now and again!
15) One piece of advice you’d give to young riders?
I think doing some form of exercise other than horses is often overlooked due to time. Its absolutely worth it as a lot of riders are horse fit but not necessarily fit!