Horses are fascinating creatures, each with their own unique temperament. However, some horses tend to be more excitable or easily spooked than others, making it a challenge for horse owners to maintain their focus and composure. Here at Bluegrass we understand the important role that diet plays in a horse's behaviour and overall well-being. In this blog, we will explore feeding options and strategies that can help manage excitability and spookiness in horses.
- Balanced Nutrition: A well-balanced diet is crucial for all horses, but it becomes even more important for those prone to excitability or spookiness. Start by ensuring that your horse's diet includes high-quality forage such as good-quality hay or pasture. This forms the foundation of their nutrition and provides essential nutrients, fibre, and energy.
- Consider Feeding Balancers: One effective option for providing essential nutrients while keeping the calorie intake controlled is using balancers. Bluegrass Stamm-30 balancer is an example of a high-quality feed specifically formulated to provide essential vitamins, minerals, and amino acids that horses require, without excessive calories. Balancers help ensure that your horse's nutrient requirements are met while reducing the risk of nutritional imbalances that could contribute to excitability.
- Low-Starch Feeds: Feeds with a high starch content can contribute to excitability and spookiness in horses. Instead, opt for low-starch feeds, such as Bluegrass Re-lite. These feeds are designed to provide controlled energy from alternative sources, such as fibre and fat, while minimizing the intake of starches and sugars. This can help maintain a more even energy level and reduce the risk of sudden spikes that may lead to behavioural issues.
- Grazing and Turnout: Allowing your horse to graze and have ample turnout time can help promote relaxation and mental well-being. Grazing provides a natural outlet for horses to exhibit foraging behaviour, which can have a calming effect. Access to pasture and regular turnout also allow horses to engage in physical activity, which can help dissipate excess energy and reduce spookiness.
- Consistent Feeding Routine: Establishing a consistent feeding routine is essential for managing excitability and spookiness. Horses thrive on routine, and consistent mealtimes can help regulate their energy levels. Divide the daily ration into multiple small meals to provide a steady supply of nutrients throughout the day, preventing large fluctuations in blood sugar levels that could contribute to behavioural changes.
Feeding horses prone to excitability or spookiness requires a thoughtful approach. A well-balanced diet, including high-quality forage, combined with options like Bluegrass Stamm-30 balancer and Bluegrass Re-lite feeds, can help address the specific needs of these horses. Additionally, incorporating grazing time, turnout, and a consistent feeding routine are essential for managing their behaviour and promoting overall well-being.
Remember, every horse is unique, and it may be helpful to consult with an equine nutritionist or veterinarian to tailor a feeding program that suits your horse's individual needs. At Bluegrass we can offer free advice and a bespoke diet taking into consideration and behavioural issues, just click HERE to submit a diet request or email us HERE for some advice.
SEO Keywords: equine nutrition, feeding options for horses, excitable horses, spooky horses, Bluegrass Stamm-30 balancer, Bluegrass Re-lite feeds, managing horse behaviour, Red Mills, Gain, Baileys, Dengie, balanced nutrition for horses, low-starch feeds, grazing for horses, keep calm, canm and condition, consistent feeding routine. #equinenutrition #equinefeeds #horsefeeds #keepcalm #calmandcondition #transformingnutrition #poweredbybluegrass