As we start a new year, Bluegrass Horse Feeds are looking at the future. As a feed company we are aware of the potential impact we can have on the environment, so we have decided to help reduce this by launching the “Go green with Bluegrass” campaign. We will be sharing throughout the coming months, how Bluegrass is incorporating a more sustainable approach and encouraging our customers to do the same.
How do we reduce our carbon footprint?
- Sourcing Raw Materials – Where possible we source our raw materials from local growers. Stock is brought in to the mill in large quantities to reduce the amount of “food miles” created from the fields to our mill for manufacturing.
- Manufacturing – Bluegrass Horse Feed is manufactured in our mill in County Tyrone. Our power consumptions are closely monitored and regularly evaluated on how we can use more sustainable energy sources.
- Reduce Reuse – Within the Bluegrass Horse Feeds mill and offices all our packaging and waste is separated for recycling. In 2019 the office also began to swap over to digital processes, trying to reduce the amount of paper waste.
- Feed Bags - Most customers might not know, most of the Bluegrass products are packaged in low density polyethene 100% recycle plastic.
Paper feed bags can contain coatings to protect against the oils and moisture from the feed making them non-recyclable. However, many of the Bluegrass paper bags are recyclable and don’t contain this coating. Contact your local recycling centre for more information on appropriately disposing of your feed bags.
- Transport – To help reduce our C02 emissions, Bluegrass deliveries are made to the same area once a week and emphasis is placed on ensuring that all available vehicle capacity is used efficiently. When purchasing vehicles our company is mindful of their design towards reducing fuel economy and C02 emissions.
- New Office – In September 2019, the Irwin Feeds team moved into a new purpose-built building designed to reduce energy consumption with lots of natural light, and other efficiency resources such as heat recovery.
How can you get involved?
We are calling on our customers to get involved and Go Green with Bluegrass. We will be posting helpful tips and tricks on how you can reduce your carbon footprint.
We want to hear from you!
How do you recycle around the yard? Do you re-use your Bluegrass bags?